Sunday, March 7, 2010

Diary Entree #1

Diary Entree

Dear Taylor,
It’s April 30th 1917, 2:39 AM, on the Western Front. You couldn’t believe how bad things are out here. The sanitation is the absolute worst! The rubbish, urine, excreta, corpses, and unwashed men in the trenches produces every type of pestilence and disease imaginable. People are dropping like flies all around me. So many soldiers die every day just because of the poor sanitation we have in these trenches. The sanitary facilities are crude at the best of times. The giant latrines are disgusting and make it smell horrible. We made our own latrines and we have to go out and dump them out in the open. All of this poor sanitations led to the rats. They are everywhere! We have to start taking care of ourselves better. It is almost impossible to do this though with all of the battles and our conditions. I haven’t showered in about 3 weeks! The same goes for everyone in our trench.
The smell is the worst thing ever. I don’t even know how all of us can put up with it. I am bound to get a disease any day now because of this bad sanitation. I wish there was someway we could improve it. I also wish I could brush my teeth. I can’t stand the feeling in my mouth. I haven’t been able to brush for about two weeks. They have to start sending us to the sanitary facility more often. This place is a complete dump. I’m surprised that all of us have not died yet. Disease is spreading so fast it is unbelievable. I’ll probably receive one any day now. I’ll have to send you another letter soon.
Yours truly,
Peter Anderson

No comments:

Post a Comment